Sunday, March 20, 2011

#1

 My first language is Korean and second one is English. When I was little, I fought a lot to learn texts and meanings of Korean. Korean has many meanings to one word and also includes a lot of meanings of Chinese characters. I think learning Korean, even adults, can be difficult. Moreover, I was a rather slow learner and had to try much more than others. Nevertheless, English was not. I don't remember about how I had an interest in English for the first time, but I felt so much fun learning about English from when I was a elementary student. Of course, English education of Korea focuses on grammar and vocabulary. So, many korean people weak a lot to different parts except grammar and vocabulary. I also was not excepted. My English grades from middle school to high school were not bad and I started to have a goal going study abroad at that time. For this reason, I could come to U.S. and study at college. As time goes on, I feel English is also as difficult as Korean, especially writing. My ability of writing is not bad and I heard several times praises about my writing in Korea. However, compositions that I write in English are really awkward because I write a composition as Korean expressions and expressions of English are limited and sentence order is totally different comparing Korean as well. Due to these problems, my composition becomes simpler and I use in the compositions only skilled expressions to me. Also, when I even use social networks like Facebook and Cyworld, Korean network, I write in Korean. Feeling a responsibility about it, I have to try writing in English everything for my English skills. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi! myung hee, I am very glad to see you in my class.I read your article.I was surprised that you have same problems with me. There are not much differences. I think you don't have to worry too much.Think about me. I am old but i started again. you have time much more than me.you just don't give up and then you will get there whatever you want. Nice meet you again. See you on class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myung Hee,

    I hoe that this class keeps giving you practice in reading and writing in English in order to improve your skills!

    It would be best if you did not translate from Korean to English but to try to think in English and therefore use natural expressions in English. This can only be done if you read and listen a lot in English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also do the same thing i translate from french to English. although, french is close to English but i don't have use translation. i wish you'll practice more in LAGCC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the class you're going to learn how to use the academic English and as the same as Korean language the English has a lot of meaning that we don't use frequently because we have to learn how to use it properly. I hope LAGCC make you a better writer and reader .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with u, I also write a composition as Chinese expressions , so my composition is simpler and the expression does not convey the idea. I think if we do more practice in English,
    we will be improved sooner ~!~fighting ~!

    ReplyDelete